Inkwell is the student literary magazine at Bethany Lutheran College. We publish annually in the spring.
We are currently accepting submissions to The Well, our blog (see below).
You are welcome to prepare for the winter/spring submission period of our 2018 print issue.
- We welcome submissions from Bethany students, alumni, and staff. We look for quality, polished pieces that represent the best of the Bethany community’s creative work.
- Inkwell does not accept previously published work.
- Once submissions are accepted, you may submit your work to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Spring 2018 Submission” and the genre in the subject line.
- Submissions should be attached as either .doc, .docx, .pdf or .jpeg files.
- Multiple submissions are accepted.
- Please include a brief cover letter and bio with your submission. Please also let us know if you’re submitting as a current student, alumni, or faculty/staff member.
Poetry: We accept up to six poem per submission period. Single-space, please. Put all poems into one document. We appreciate work grounded in strong images, but try us. We often don’t know what we’ll love till we read it.
Fiction: We primarily look for short stories, but novel excerpts are acceptable if self-contained. We typically publish pieces under 5,000 words.
Creative Nonfiction: We are interested in memoir, personal essays, profiles, lyric essays, and literary journalism. Book reviews and traditional academic essays are not considered. We typically publish pieces under 5,000 words.
Plays: We welcome sharp, engaging plays ten pages and under. Excerpts from larger works are acceptable if self-contained.
Non-English Submissions/Translations: We publish original non-English submissions accompanied by their English translation. We prefer poetry and flash fiction/flash essays in this category.
Visual Art: We are interested in photography and other visual art. All visual art will be published in color. Electronic submissions only.
All accepted pieces go through an editorial process. Inkwell staff is also willing to offer critiques to students preparing work for submissions. Students are strongly encouraged to attend “BLC Creates: A Writing and Workshop Series” events to workshop work-in-progress.
THE WELL SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
We also regularly feature fiction, poetry, creative nonfiction, book and event reviews, interviews, as well as musings on writing and the writing life on The Well, our blog. We accept submissions to The Well August 15-April 15, and provide editorial feedback to contributors. All pieces submitted to Inkwell are fair game for both the magazine and The Well.